Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What is Chiari Malformation?

I guess I should let people know what Chiari Malformation is since I have and will be babbling on about it.
I have been struggling with severe headaches for a year, and for about 3 months I was suffering with a whole bunch of other symptoms from the Chiari. I decided to finally go to the doctor and see what was going on when I smartened up and realized that it wasn't normal to have headaches 24/7, pass out randomly, lose feeling in my hands and arms, not be able to lift a 1/4 gallon of milk to pour me a glass and when I luckily got the glass poured how when I went to take a sip I would drop the glass everytime and cried as I watched it shatter to the floor and how I couldn't drive anymore because when I went to look to the left then look to the right I saw only blurriness, whoops, I guess that could have been quite dangerous! But I guess none of that is normal so I finally listened to my husband's wisdom, (instead of ignoring it like I have for the past couple months regarding this) and I went to the doctor and she sent me right away for an MRI of my brain and of my neck. The very next day my doctor informed me that I had Chiari Malformation and that she was sending me to a Neurosurgeon right away because it is quite severe and needs to be fixed with surgery!

Surgery? Yikes! No one likes to hear that word, especially not when it's regarding your brain and your head. It was so hard to hear that, not to mention that she called when Dal was gone to Wal-Mart to do the grocery shopping for the month, also not to mention that he forgot his cell phone at home. So here I am with this bad news and my hubby is somewhere in that dreadful Wal-Mart. So I decided to call Wal-Mart and have him paged. What, like you wouldn't in a situation like this? Well I called them and could barely get out that I needed my hubby ASAP, through all my loud sobs. I finally reached him and got him home soon after to tell him the news, that was quite hard to tell Dal, who has been through 18 brain surgeries himself, that I have a brain malformation and that I now need surgery. Let's just say that he didn't take it very well, but he was very strong and supportive to me.

We met with Dr. Peterson on November 3rd to hear the verdict. The results: surgery on November 28th. So we got to work to prep for Christmas and for the surgery, which you can read about in the blurb below.
So a little about Dr. Peterson, he is a top Neuro-Surgeon in Utah and specializes in Chiari Malformation surgery, so that was helpful in calming me down. He is a great surgeon, he just has a funny bedside manner where he seems to think everything is funny and that it relates to something else.
Example
 Me: "How long will the recovery be after surgery?"
Dr. Peterson: "Funny you should ask that." (giggling)
Me thinking to myself: (stress mode) what do you mean funny I should ask that? That's a normal question anyone going into surgery would want to know. Right? and why are you laughing about this?
Dr. Peterson: Well this one patient I had as soon as he woke up out of surgery he felt better instantly. I also had this patient, let's see, oh about 10 years ago, and it took her like 2 years to feel better. Man that's a long time don't you think? (He went on for 10 minutes about his previous pt. experiences)
Me thinking to myself again: did he really just ask that? What is this guy's problem, I just want to know how long I should plan on recovery time. Is he really still laughing about this? I look over and Dal is just calm as can be and soaking in everything he says, huh, must be a nurse thing.
Needless to say, I did not get a direct response to any of my questions, which is quite frustrating. But that is the flaw to our sweet Dr. Peterson, other than laughing off questions and rambling on with very long stories, he is a very brilliant surgeon and he did an excellent job with my surgery.

It has been 5 weeks since the surgery and so far, not too bad. I had to take 3 1/2 weeks off of work to recover and now I am back and trying my darndest to make it through a full day. All of my symptoms are gone, except the headaches, I seem to not be able to fight them off, I tried asking my Dr. how long I would have them for and once again, no answer. From studying about it, it can take up to a few weeks to a few years. I have passed the few weeks, and pray that it doesn't last a few years. I guess I am starting to get immune to my headaches since I have had them for over a year, come to think of it, I can't really remember what it's like to not have my head pounding all day! Hum... Well all in all, I am very grateful I had the surgery done, it helped so much and I am so glad that I can remember things now, (well mostly, haha) and am so glad that I am not breaking anymore dishes :) I am still not able to drive farther than a block, but I will get there. I'm grateful the surgery went well and that Dr. Peterson performed it to perfection. As for now I am just trying to get used to this huge incision and bald spot on the back of my head. Thank you to everyone who gifted me cute hats to cover up the baldness, I am very grateful I can cover up that embarrassing hair cut! So glad I have way cute hats to be stylish with for the winter!

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts, prayers, cards, hats, flowers, meals, etc. Thank you to mom, and Rach for babysitting me so Dal could go to work. It all has helped us so much!
Most of all, thank you to my sweet hubby who has done the grocery shopping for the past 4 months, who washed my hair in the sink for the past month, for sending embarrassing head photos of me to family and friends, who made us meals for the past month, who took care of me and gave me my meds, who slept with me in my hospital bed so I wasn't lonesome, and for never leaving my side and supporting me through it all! Love you pook!

Here is a link that is quite informational about Chiari Malformation, Hope this helps!

http://www.conquerchiari.org/Chiari%20Overview%202010.pdf

5 comments:

  1. Holey Moley Me OH MY! That sounds horrific! I'm so so SO glad that you had a supportive family, awesome husband, and brillian doctor to get you through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I couldn't have done it without them! Thanks Della :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one tough chica Han!!! And you are handling all this beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelly! Well I don't know about beautifully, have you seen the back of my head? haha
    But thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are you feeling now . . . almost a year after your Chiari decompression surgery? My daughter is thinking of having it done, and by the same doctor.

    ReplyDelete